Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Updating Less Routine

Just a quick update tonight. I'm trying something a little new in case you were wondering where all the posts went. I'm slowing the pace a little bit to prevent possible burnout. I have a lot of posts to get to, and I'm aiming at catching up in the next week or two. I'm still playing on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays as much as I can, and I'm glad to see a few familiar names in the chat. So, even if I'm not posting, I'm still playing.
In the last poll I asked about playing remakes, and the majority thought we should vote on each. Well, I'm going to need everyone's help with that. I'm not always aware of remakes, so please point them out to me in time.The current list reflects what I plan to play; I need help from others to point out if I'm missing out on an original or a remake that deserves some attention. On the list, I not only have shunned remakes, but also original games in favor of a port. The first example is the Ys game I just played. I passed over Ys I for the SMS because it's basically the same game as the first part of Ys: Book I & II. This'll be the first poll: Should I play Ys I for the Sega Master System?

To wrap this post up, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to Operation Manafall. It's a focused effort to get an officially translated international release of Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3, originally released on SNES in Japan only). Hot off the heels of Operation Windfall--which helped to convince Nintendo to release three Wii RPGs--the hopes of those involved is that someone at Square-Enix (hopefully someone with enough authority) will notice the amount of fans begging for this game, and a re-release will come to a current console. Wish them luck, join their cause, like their page, and (most importantly) help them add another game to my list! [More info]

13 comments:

  1. While it was a tad confusing to hear you talk about a game you hadn't reached yet that was a predecessor to ones you were currently playing, I don't think you should feel any pressure to go back and play it now.

    My vote is to apply this rule to future situations, but what's done is done. Move on to something fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion. I figured while I was going back to play Miracle Warriors and the Western 8-bit console RPGs that it'd be a good chance to play Ys I as well. Seems like many think it's just not worth my time. Honestly though, I'm fairly sure I'd be able to get through it in a night with having just beat a variation of it.

      Delete
  2. I voted yes then changed my vote to no in the ys poll. I don't think it would be productive or change the score for the game any. Maybe a post pointing out the differences? (Mirrored dungeons etc.) And a few screen shots but no you played the best contemporary version port of that game even if it wasn't released first and I see no point in playing both especially since they are so similar. But I like the idea to vote on a case by case basis. I just don't see the point of another playthough in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read, the only difference that would change up the game is running into enemies head on won't work anymore. I'd always need to run at them from an offset. Dark Fact is supposed to take more hits before dying, but leveling up is supposed to be faster. Also, stat increases are greater each level because the level cap is lower.

      I think there's enough differences to take a look at the game, but I'm not sure I'd have anything more to say about it.

      Delete
  3. Don't play the SMS Ys. I don't think it's that different.

    Also, why the sudden worry about SD3? It's been translated for a while. If Square doesn't want the money, just pirate it and translate it yourself.

    Personally, I'd like to see an official translation of Half Minute Hero 2. BADLY. HMH is probably my favorite "JRPG" of the this generation, insofar as Demons Souls and Dark Souls are not technically JRPGs even if they are Japanese, console RPGs.

    I also would love to see an official release for Retro Game Challenge 2 / aka Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 2. I loved the first game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely a lot of games we could go back to and say, "hey, company x, why don't you release this game? Look how many fans it has, and it's not even officially in this country."

      Personally, I'm not worrying about it. I thought it was a cool idea, getting fans together to show a publisher there is still interest in CRPGs. It might not be this particular game that gets made, but maybe more in this genre will get released.

      On a side note, I was reminded of the bump to attack in Half Minute Hero while playing Ys. I've heard not so good things about the Retro Game Challenge, and I'm still not sure if I'll play it (I think only one of the "mini-games" is an RPG).

      Delete
    2. Retro Game Challenge is good for what it is: a leisurely stroll throw nostalgia. That has bad sides and good sides. Honestly, now with chronogaming becoming so big, RGC/GCCX feels almost ahead of its time. It'd make a good companion piece with, say, Chrontendo. It definitely has its weaknesses, but that's largely because of the approach it uses. The history of gaming is filled with winners and losers....

      Nonetheless, I wouldn't add it to the RPG list.

      Half Minute Hero, on the other hand, is just phenomenal. I LOVED that freakin' game. I hope to God the sequel finds a way to get translated, officially or otherwise. It's definitely one of the best reasons to own a PSP.

      Delete
    3. Looking into Retro Game Challenge, I see that only one of the games is an RPG. I'm not sure if I should include games that have parts that are RPGs, and parts that obviously aren't. I'm still considering it, but I understand where you're coming from.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure how to vote, but I'd like you to do say 30 min, perhaps a bit less, into it then write a short post on the differences. Just a couple fights, notes on the interface, graphics, sound, that kind of thing. I don't see any point in a total replay through until we reach games with significant branching paths or meaningful character classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to hop in and say I was enjoying the blog - I hadn't seen it before, and also liked the link to Operation Manafall - I liked the page and will probably toss something up for it on my gaming blog soon as well. Any objections to me adding you to my blog roll and links page? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta say after a week of no updates...... I am kind of. Issuing them. At least an initial page about the game you are playing or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have read missing them.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about dropping out for a bit. Other things have been taking up my time, and I just need to get back into the flow again. I really haven't been playing anything either. I should have an update today, and even might move Saturday night playing to Sunday, which means playing tonight. We'll see though.

      Delete